Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by John T. Youn » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

Anyone have any opinions on the quality of Tandy RG8/U coax compared to
the other main brands such as Belden, etc.? Thanks de John, KI7JB

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Wes Stewa » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00




>Subject: Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?
>Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 07:54:43 -0700
>Anyone have any opinions on the quality of Tandy RG8/U coax compared to
>the other main brands such as Belden, etc.? Thanks de John, KI7JB

Junk.  Although some of the other stuff is getting pretty skimpy too.  

Wes -- N7WS

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Edward Lawrenc » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

Yes.  The braid has a very open weave.  It leaks a lot.  This may be OK in
non-critical applications, but not in others.  You (may) get whay you pay for.

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by David L. Thomps » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>Anyone have any opinions on the quality of Tandy RG8/U coax compared to
>the other main brands such as Belden, etc.? Thanks de John, KI7JB

According to my contacts at Tandy HQ in Dallas the RS coax since the
early 90's is 96% braid and close to Belden etc.  I use their RG8 on
two antennas with good success.  They also have a parts division Tandy
national Parts.

Dave K4JRB

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by WB3 » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>Junk.  Although some of the other stuff is getting pretty skimpy too.

Taiwan was too good for these folks.  Nearly all their products
are made in China now.  Even the miniature lamp bulbs can't be
relied on to work.

73,
Jack  WB3U

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Rich Griffith » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00



> >Anyone have any opinions on the quality of Tandy RG8/U coax compared to
> >the other main brands such as Belden, etc.? Thanks de John, KI7JB

> According to my contacts at Tandy HQ in Dallas the RS coax since the
> early 90's is 96% braid and close to Belden etc.  I use their RG8 on
> two antennas with good success.  They also have a parts division Tandy
> national Parts.

> Dave K4JRB

I bought RG-58 and RG-59 from RS a couple of years ago that couldn't
have been more than 60% coverage.

I haven't checked the RG-8, but then "Fool me once, shame on you ...."
I won't make that mistake again.

I don't fault RS on everything, as some do.  I think they do sell some
good stuff.  But coax is not on the list.

Rich W2RG

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Dave Zawod » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>Anyone have any opinions on the quality of Tandy RG8/U coax compared to
>the other main brands such as Belden, etc.? Thanks de John, KI7JB

John,

For years, Rat Shack has been the world,s largest supplier of
 Radiax :)  

Seriously, just Take a piece and skin it.  Then, tell me what you
think.

BTW  Radiax is a Trademark of Andrew, and I seriously doubt that
ANYONE would ever confuse the two pruduct lines...  

My apologies to Andrew for any perceived slurrrrrr.....

Z
the  

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by robert bowm » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>Even the miniature lamp bulbs can't be relied on to work.

i though it was just me. i've learned the hard way that if you buy
any cable from RS, the first thing to do is cut the molded connectors
off and solder your own on, before you drive yourself nuts looking
for the intermittent open circuit.

it is really sad, since i really think that with the lack of walk-in
electronic supply shops in many areas, RS could carry quality products
at a higher price and still have the same volume.

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Gareth Crispel » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00



>>Junk.  Although some of the other stuff is getting pretty skimpy too.

>Taiwan was too good for these folks.  Nearly all their products
>are made in China now.  Even the miniature lamp bulbs can't be
>relied on to work.

>73,
>Jack  WB3U

--

How True! I mentioned the exact thing to a Rat Shacko employee last year
and he looked at me as though I had the IQ of a watermelon.
His words of wisdom were " have you never heard of international free
trade ?"  :-]

                 ..as for the mysteries of the
                Universe...they knew them not...

  And in the time of their visitation they shall shine, and run
  to and fro like sparks among the stubble.


 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Dan Prysb » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00




>>Subject: Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?
>>Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 07:54:43 -0700

>>Anyone have any opinions on the quality of Tandy RG8/U coax compared to
>>the other main brands such as Belden, etc.? Thanks de John, KI7JB

>Junk.  Although some of the other stuff is getting pretty skimpy too.  

It would help if you could cite specific problems.
Is the impedance incorrect?
Is the loss xdB vs Belden at ydB?
What specifically made you rate it "junk"?

Dan Prysby

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Wes Stewa » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00



>Subject: Re: Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?
>Date: 21 May 1996 14:10:13 GMT
>>>Anyone have any opinions on the quality of Tandy RG8/U coax compared to
>>>the other main brands such as Belden, etc.? Thanks de John, KI7JB

>>Junk.  Although some of the other stuff is getting pretty skimpy too.  
>It would help if you could cite specific problems.
>Is the impedance incorrect?
>Is the loss xdB vs Belden at ydB?
>What specifically made you rate it "junk"?

Weigh it.
 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by WB3 » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00



>>Taiwan was too good for these folks.  Nearly all their products
>>are made in China now.  Even the miniature lamp bulbs can't be
>>relied on to work.
>How True! I mentioned the exact thing to a Rat Shacko employee
>last year and he looked at me as though I had the IQ of a watermelon.
>His words of wisdom were " have you never heard of international free
>trade ?"  :-]

Free trade doesn't exist when the products aren't manufactured by  
free people.

73,
Jack  WB3U

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Bill Nels » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

: It would help if you could cite specific problems.
: Is the impedance incorrect?
: Is the loss xdB vs Belden at ydB?
: What specifically made you rate it "junk"?

The lousy shield coverage, possibly as poor as 50%.

Bill

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by cc.. » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

I've actually used Radio Shack coax in place of RADIAX.  Worked pretty
good.  Ran it up an elevator shaft about 400' and didn't even need a
terminator.  I did cut and pull back 1/4 wave of braid making a
sleve-dipole at the far end figuring it would make up for the loss in
the cable.  Oh yeah, ~461 MHz operation.

Supposedly there's a joke:

RADIo shack coAX = RADIAX

Andrew N2CBU
Custom Communications Systems

 
 
 

Radio Shack Tandy Coax any good?

Post by Red5o » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

Well, I'm no fan of Rat Shack, that's for sure. But, I must admit that I'm
using their RG-8 for my HF beam, a dual band (80/40 meter) inverted vee,
and an R5 vert.  I've had no problems of any kind.  Of course, they used
to sell some RG-8 a few years ago that I wouldn't have trusted to use as a
DOG LEASH!  But, some time ago, they started improving their braid
coverage.  Now, I think it's right up there with the other brands.  Say,
didn't QST have an article about coax a few months/years ago and rate Rat
Shack RG-8 as an OK product?  Anyhow, that's my thoughts on the matter.  I
suppose the only way I could be sure that their RG-8 is OK would be to
test it against another brand using my 3 antennas.  Hope this helps a
little bit. 73 to all & have a nice Memorial Day holiday!