Ham Gets Jail Time

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by kc8jb » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hams with jail time include W4AMP, and wolfie.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by Larry Anderso » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Was this guy really a Ham? And if so it does not do the Amateur community any good! If he was NOT liscensed
then the papers need to point that out and say so. Anyone know his call?

Caio..... Larry W6LAR


> By gosh there is a little justice to be found.

> SignOn San Diego State/The Region -- Radio hacker sentenced to five-year term for interfering with police

>   Radio hacker sentenced to five-year term for interfering with police

>  ASSOCIATED PRESS
>       June 10, 2000
>       LOS ANGELES -- An amateur radio operator was sentenced to a five-year
>       prison sentence for interfering with police radio frequencies.
>       Jack Gerritsen admitted he broadcast an *** message on police
>       frequencies that began "you Rampart pigs" more than 1,000 times last fall,
>       said Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Steven J. Ipsen.
>       The 64-year old from Bell, a community 16 miles southeast of Los Angeles,
>       was arrested in December after a lengthy investigation by the California
>       Highway Patrol and the Federal Communications Commission. The CHP got
>       involved after Gerritsen's interference disrupted the pursuit of a suspect
>       who eventually escaped.
>       Gerritsen was sentenced Thursday.
>       His interference of police activities was not limited to radio, Ipsen
>       said. Gerritsen has been present at several police raids, pointing out
>       undercover officers to suspects, and has been a regular fixture at DUI
>       checkpoints for the last ten years, authorities said.
>       "Most people who are in touch with reality know there are situations which
>       require police involvement," Ipsen said. "Mr. Gerritsen doesn't believe
>       that police involvement is ever justified."
>       Gerritsen, who represented himself at trial and sang the theme song from
>       the TV show "Cops" in his closing argument, said his broadcasts did not
>       interfere with police and were protected by his First Amendment rights.
>       Gerritsen also faces 34 misdemeanor counts of violating police frequencies
>       in nearby Orange County.
>       Interference with police frequencies was a rare occurrence until a few
>       years ago, when sophisticated radio equipment became available, police
>       said.
>       Gerritsen has been the most significant problem of this kind in Los
>       Angeles county, Ipsen said. "No one is as prolific as this guy."
>       With Gerritson's conviction, "a lot of police officers are going to be
>       able to focus on their jobs without being insulted on a daily basis,"
>       Ipsen said.

>       ? Copyright 2000 Union-Tribune Publishing Co.

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by radios.. » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Who's Wolfie?

----------


> Hams with jail time include W4AMP, and wolfie.

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by jamesrhamp.. » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I can't say for sure; there is a Jack Gerritsen in California listed in
QRZ.COM but whether he is the individual or not, I don't know.  It is
really sad, there used to be a FEW individuals (such as Mike, W2OY) who
enjoyed jamming other hams, but now, some hams, some CBers, and some
unlicensed individuals think that they can do whatever they want.  When
I went to college, one guy had a CB set which he used to taunt the
local police (NOT a good idea).  He was caught, and the charges were
dropped - with the understanding that he was done at that school and we
not to come back to the town.  That was pretty big time then, but now
we have the 3, 5, and more kilowatt characters as well as the jerks who
think 'fun' is jamming the police frequencies.  I wonder what the 22nd
century will bring?

73s, Jim, AA2QA



> Was this guy really a Ham? And if so it does not do the Amateur

community any good! If he was NOT liscensed
> then the papers need to point that out and say so. Anyone know his
call?

> Caio..... Larry W6LAR


> > By gosh there is a little justice to be found.

> > SignOn San Diego State/The Region -- Radio hacker sentenced to five-

year term for interfering with police

Quote:

> >   Radio hacker sentenced to five-year term for interfering with
police

> >  ASSOCIATED PRESS
> >       June 10, 2000
> >       LOS ANGELES -- An amateur radio operator was sentenced to a
five-year
> >       prison sentence for interfering with police radio frequencies.
> >       Jack Gerritsen admitted he broadcast an *** message on
police
> >       frequencies that began "you Rampart pigs" more than 1,000
times last fall,
> >       said Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Steven J.
Ipsen.
> >       The 64-year old from Bell, a community 16 miles southeast of
Los Angeles,
> >       was arrested in December after a lengthy investigation by the
California
> >       Highway Patrol and the Federal Communications Commission. The
CHP got
> >       involved after Gerritsen's interference disrupted the pursuit
of a suspect
> >       who eventually escaped.
> >       Gerritsen was sentenced Thursday.
> >       His interference of police activities was not limited to
radio, Ipsen
> >       said. Gerritsen has been present at several police raids,
pointing out
> >       undercover officers to suspects, and has been a regular
fixture at DUI
> >       checkpoints for the last ten years, authorities said.
> >       "Most people who are in touch with reality know there are
situations which
> >       require police involvement," Ipsen said. "Mr. Gerritsen
doesn't believe
> >       that police involvement is ever justified."
> >       Gerritsen, who represented himself at trial and sang the
theme song from
> >       the TV show "Cops" in his closing argument, said his
broadcasts did not
> >       interfere with police and were protected by his First
Amendment rights.
> >       Gerritsen also faces 34 misdemeanor counts of violating
police frequencies
> >       in nearby Orange County.
> >       Interference with police frequencies was a rare occurrence
until a few
> >       years ago, when sophisticated radio equipment became
available, police
> >       said.
> >       Gerritsen has been the most significant problem of this kind
in Los
> >       Angeles county, Ipsen said. "No one is as prolific as this
guy."
> >       With Gerritson's conviction, "a lot of police officers are
going to be
> >       able to focus on their jobs without being insulted on a daily
basis,"
> >       Ipsen said.

> >       ? Copyright 2000 Union-Tribune Publishing Co.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.redwaveradio.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by KC8JB » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> Who's Wolfie?

The "Jeapordy" catagory "Things Which No Longer Have Any ***ing
Relevance Whatsoever."

> ----------


> > Hams with jail time include W4AMP, and wolfie.

> > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.redwaveradio.com/ The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

--
73 de KC8JBO|Roger
EM99 |ARRL|VE [ARRL & W5YI]|ARES

Sent via Deja.com http://www.redwaveradio.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by Dan/W4NT » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

It is

Quote:> really sad, there used to be a FEW individuals (such as Mike, W2OY)
who
> enjoyed jamming other hams,

I wonder if you were around when Mike was alive and active on the
bottom end of 75?  I was there and I never heard him "jam" anyone.  Now
what he did do was fire up on "his" frequency of 3805, or was it 3810?.
Then proceed to call CQ no kids, no lids, no wa's, no wb's, class A
operators only, and no space cadets please.  Or something like that.

Dan/W4NTI

--
"Just tellin the truth, and they cain't stand it."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by JAMES HAMPTO » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> It is
> > really sad, there used to be a FEW individuals (such as Mike, W2OY)
> who
> > enjoyed jamming other hams,

> I wonder if you were around when Mike was alive and active on the
> bottom end of 75?  I was there and I never heard him "jam" anyone.  Now
> what he did do was fire up on "his" frequency of 3805, or was it 3810?.
> Then proceed to call CQ no kids, no lids, no wa's, no wb's, class A
> operators only, and no space cadets please.  Or something like that.

> Dan/W4NTI

> --
> "Just tellin the truth, and they cain't stand it."

Yep, I sure was.  I did QSO with him a couple of times (as a WB2 no less!).
There was time I was having a QSO with a guy in Ohio and he jumped on us.  I
simply switched to CW to say '73' and it turned out the other guy was a good
CW op.  After a couple of 'QRQ?'s back and forth, we settled down for a good
half hour chat on CW - right there at about 40 WPM.  Didn't even hear Mike
except a couple of times I dropped the Q-multiplier to see if he was still
there.  He sure ranted and raved.  To be honest, I know a couple of guys who
knew him personally, and from what they tell me, he was a heck of a nice
guy - he just had a couple of quirks when it came to the radio.

73s, Jim AA2QA

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by Dan/W4NT » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> Didn't WA4Dawg do the same?


> > It is
> > > really sad, there used to be a FEW individuals (such as Mike,
W2OY)
> > who
> > > enjoyed jamming other hams,

> > I wonder if you were around when Mike was alive and active on the
> > bottom end of 75?  I was there and I never heard him "jam" anyone.
Now
> > what he did do was fire up on "his" frequency of 3805, or was it
3810?.
> > Then proceed to call CQ no kids, no lids, no wa's, no wb's, class A
> > operators only, and no space cadets please.  Or something like that.

> > Dan/W4NTI

> > --
> > "Just tellin the truth, and they cain't stand it."

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Not really, from what I remember hearing WA4D do.  He mainly attacked
older gentlemen and ladies on the forty meter "cars" nets.

Dan/W4NTI

--
"Just tellin the truth, and they cain't stand it."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by Dan/W4NT » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> > It is
> > > really sad, there used to be a FEW individuals (such as Mike,
W2OY)
> > who
> > > enjoyed jamming other hams,

> > I wonder if you were around when Mike was alive and active on the
> > bottom end of 75?  I was there and I never heard him "jam" anyone.
Now
> > what he did do was fire up on "his" frequency of 3805, or was it
3810?.
> > Then proceed to call CQ no kids, no lids, no wa's, no wb's, class A
> > operators only, and no space cadets please.  Or something like that.

> > Dan/W4NTI

> > --
> > "Just tellin the truth, and they cain't stand it."

> Yep, I sure was.  I did QSO with him a couple of times (as a WB2 no
less!).
> There was time I was having a QSO with a guy in Ohio and he jumped on
us.  I
> simply switched to CW to say '73' and it turned out the other guy was
a good
> CW op.  After a couple of 'QRQ?'s back and forth, we settled down for
a good
> half hour chat on CW - right there at about 40 WPM.  Didn't even hear
Mike
> except a couple of times I dropped the Q-multiplier to see if he was
still
> there.  He sure ranted and raved.  To be honest, I know a couple of
guys who
> knew him personally, and from what they tell me, he was a heck of a
nice
> guy - he just had a couple of quirks when it came to the radio.

> 73s, Jim AA2QA

That I can believe..hi hi.  I had a K8 back then and he refused to talk
to me also.  But isn't it amazing that after all these years he is
still remembered.  Wonder what that says about us?

Dan/W4NTI

--
"Just tellin the truth, and they cain't stand it."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by David J. Windisc » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

The notorious, possibly infamous W2OY reportedly died with his boots on,
while safety-belted to whatever supported his antennas.   He was an elitist,
et cetera.

K3BHJ

 
 
 

Ham Gets Jail Time

Post by kd6.. » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:13:54

I found this posted today, Thought I would share it with the group.

-JM

I WONT BE IGNORED

I may be a 70 year old man with nothing else going on in my life but I
won't be ignored by a bunch of 435er's who I know is spending the day
around their radios listening to everything said. I know you think I'm
being obserd with my demands for "air-time" on your repeater but I want
you all to be my puppets. Watch how I pull the strings here on 435.

My new "Rules Of The Road" for the 147.435 repeater:

I play my tapes when ever I want. You don't complain, You just listen
- no turning off your radio - no talking over my taped message - no
walking away to take a leak - NOTHING. I don't want my tapes
interrupted for any reason whenever I choose to play them you will all
need to stand by. If any parts of my taped announcements are
interrupted I will punish the repeater with several hours of nonstop
feedback. Even if my tape player fails for what ever reason I will
punish the repeater for several hours with feedback. If you interrupt
the feedback I will add one hour to my feedback schedule for each
interruption. If the repeater times-out during my feedback schedule I
will start the feed-back schedule timer over again. I will play my
tapes over-and-over until I get tiered of hearing them. If when I
un-key I hear any complaining I will play them again. When I stop
playing my tapes and un-key you are free to start a QSO but keep in
mind that as soon as you do so I get to jam over the top of you
whenever I want with rude comments about your family background or
telling you to "get the *** outta here retard". You will not go to
another repeater or any simplex frequency to continue the QSO that I
interrupted, If you do I will call you jammers and proceed to play my
tapes over-and-over again. If you don't start any QSO's on 435 so that
I can jam them I will start kerchunking the repeater until someone
complains about it and then I will call you jammers and retards. If the
repeater is turned off while I am playing my tapes or interrupting your
QSO's I will go to the output and complain that the repeater owner is a
coward and afraid of my words and then make a chicken noise like this
BOK BOK while calling him a chicken and a Riley supporter. No QSO will
be permitted on 435 without including me in the round-table. If no one
is talking and you want to start a QSO you first talk to me asking me
how I am doing and if there is anything you can do for me.

As you can tell here my 435 rules of the road pretty much favor me over
you in all points of conflict. I have all of the say-so about this
hobby and you have none. I don't care about how much time or money you
may have invested in radio and repeater equipment, I mean business
here. I may look and sound like a 70 year old senile man but I am a man
on the edge. I have absolutely nothing to lose here and everything to
gain. I will die sooner rather then later and I'll bet that my death
will come long before the FCC and their slow bureaucracy can do
anything about me. I have protected my property from possible vandals.
I have protected my assets from potential legal confiscation. I signed
over power of attorney to undisclosed family members to future protect
me.

I am counting on you the 435 users to be my "squeaky wheel". I expect
that you will get pissed off enough to daily contact authorities that
will find that there is nothing more that they can do other refer to
the same FCC and their slow bureaucracy.




> > Who's Wolfie?

> The "Jeapordy" catagory "Things Which No Longer Have Any ***ing
> Relevance Whatsoever."

> > ----------


> > > Hams with jail time include W4AMP, and wolfie.

> > > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.redwaveradio.com/ The Internet's
Discussion
> Network *
> > > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
> Free!

> --
> 73 de KC8JBO|Roger
> EM99 |ARRL|VE [ARRL & W5YI]|ARES

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.redwaveradio.com/
> Before you buy.