AR-3000A on airband

AR-3000A on airband

Post by Troy R » Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:47:14

Hi all,

I was wondering how the AOR AR-3000A preforms on VHF and UHF airband.  I
have the chance of getting a cheap one and want to know how they perform.

--
Regards
Troy Rowland

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by Garry » Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:57:10


It's been a few years since I had a 3000A,,, but it worked fine for me
 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by Richar » Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:16:50


> I was wondering how the AOR AR-3000A preforms on VHF and UHF airband.

I have a 3000 [no suffix] and although airband isn't my thing, if the price is
right I'd go for it! Good, if not outstanding, receive performance + easy (?)
to interface with a PC. Bit long in the tooth but still a fine bit of kit.

It's a sod when the lithium battery dies though :-(
--
Richard

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by whoeve » Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:42:24

You can't just replace the battery? I thought the battery only held the
memory?

> It's a sod when the lithium battery dies though :-(
> --
> Richard

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by gcd » Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:52:01

Hi all,
i'm biased, it's a ***radio.

I've had both the 3000 and the 3000a when both were released. Both had
useless hf reception with phase noise of the LO and reference osc affecting
ssb reception. both had very poor adjacent channel selectivity in VHF/UHF. I
could hear a police channel 25 Khz up the band as clear as day! Both were
useless on the telescopic ant for hf. The dealer / manufacture response was
to use an external.

Both were retruned for a full refund VERY soon after delivery.

I had hoped the 3000A had fixed the problems of the 3000 but to no avail.

I had a 2001 and 2002 both were excelelnt receivers, I had expected similar
performance from the 3000 and was let down.

I'm biased but i'd stay away from them.

Greg


Quote:> Hi all,

> I was wondering how the AOR AR-3000A preforms on VHF and UHF airband.  I
> have the chance of getting a cheap one and want to know how they perform.

> --
> Regards
> Troy Rowland

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by Richar » Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:01:12


>> It's a sod when the lithium battery dies though :-(
> You can't just replace the battery? I thought the battery only held
> the memory?

Replacing the battery is a time consuming although not difficult task. The
first time took me 3 hours, the second about 30 mins. Still a PITA though :-(

The of course you have to reprogramme the search/scan bands - easy via a PC but
a bit of a grind if you have to do it via the front panel.
--
Richard

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by Richar » Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:08:32


> i'm biased, it's a ***radio.

> Both had
> useless hf reception with phase noise of the LO and reference osc
> affecting ssb reception.

I would certainly agree they're nowhere near as good as a dedicated HF
receiver, but OK for casual listening. I treat my AR3000 as a V/UHF receiver
with the added bonus of HF.

Quote:> very poor adjacent channel
> selectivity in VHF/UHF. I could hear a police channel 25 Khz up the
> band as clear as day!

Yes, the filters are a bit wide & leaky but I think you were unlucky with
yours. Mine can't sort out 12.5 kHz spacing too well but is fine on 25 kHz
channeling.

Quote:> Both were useless on the telescopic ant for hf.
> The dealer / manufacture response was to use an external.

Did you switch the internal HF preamp on? But you are right, the supplied ant
is far from ideal on HF. Much better to throw 20 or 30' of wire out of the
window and use that.

Quote:> Both were retruned for a full refund VERY soon after delivery.

I think you were expecting too much for your money, especially 10 or 15 years
ago. However, as a good all round compromise in 1 small box I think the 3000(A)
has a lot going for it.

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice . . . .
--
Richard

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by big boy no » Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:57:42

Hi Troy
           i use an AOR scanner i don't normally listen to air band only now
and then but i can receive air band with 100% clarity then again i can spit
on the runway of Heathrow airport and the AOR i use even does the new 8.33
spacing...
go for it i have brought and sold loads of scanners over the last three
years and by far the best scanners i have had come through my hands are AOR
top bit of kit...
i would Go for an AOR scanner / communications receive over almost every
scanner on the market.
Look at it this way lots of government and military establishments around
the world use AOR equipment.....if its good enough for them its got to be
good kit.
go for it the cheapest i have brought an AOR AR3000A for was 180 this was
because the owner lost the box and manual no problem phone AOR and had a new
manual delivered you can even down load a manual
Hope this helps

John:


Quote:> Hi all,

> I was wondering how the AOR AR-3000A preforms on VHF and UHF airband.  I
> have the chance of getting a cheap one and want to know how they perform.

> --
> Regards
> Troy Rowland

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by big boy no » Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:09:15

then again if you read his original post you would see he is interested in
VHF / UHF air band and he didn't mention using HF.
you may say i am biased but then again i have there to of the line
communications receiver latest model.
there is nothing wrong with AOR equipment if you want a bad receiver try the
Yaesu VR5000 this is the worst receiver i have ever had pass through my
hands....
if your only using a set top antennas you are not likely to receive very
much as hand held scanners are designed for portable use and if you want
good reception in doors you really need an external antenna.
trust me i know.....i use one of three external antennas for various parts
of the radio spectrum.....i have a random long wire for HF i also have a
full sized G5RV 102feet long for the amateur radio bands i also have a royal
discone for VHF/UHF....trust me go external antenna if you really want to
hear anything in  doors...
Hope this helps.

John



>> i'm biased, it's a ***radio.

>> Both had
>> useless hf reception with phase noise of the LO and reference osc
>> affecting ssb reception.

> I would certainly agree they're nowhere near as good as a dedicated HF
> receiver, but OK for casual listening. I treat my AR3000 as a V/UHF
> receiver
> with the added bonus of HF.

>> very poor adjacent channel
>> selectivity in VHF/UHF. I could hear a police channel 25 Khz up the
>> band as clear as day!

> Yes, the filters are a bit wide & leaky but I think you were unlucky with
> yours. Mine can't sort out 12.5 kHz spacing too well but is fine on 25 kHz
> channeling.

>> Both were useless on the telescopic ant for hf.
>> The dealer / manufacture response was to use an external.

> Did you switch the internal HF preamp on? But you are right, the supplied
> ant
> is far from ideal on HF. Much better to throw 20 or 30' of wire out of the
> window and use that.

>> Both were retruned for a full refund VERY soon after delivery.

> I think you were expecting too much for your money, especially 10 or 15
> years
> ago. However, as a good all round compromise in 1 small box I think the
> 3000(A)
> has a lot going for it.

> You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice . . . .
> --
> Richard

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by Troy R » Wed, 06 Oct 2004 06:11:36

Thanks for the info folks.  Very much appreciated.
 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by Warren » Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:50:30

I found its AM performance was very average, but most 'scanners' are
average, The UHF FM was OK

Quote:> Hi all,

> I was wondering how the AOR AR-3000A preforms on VHF and UHF airband.  I
> have the chance of getting a cheap one and want to know how they perform.

> --
> Regards
> Troy Rowland

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by whoeve » Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:50:19

One thing everybody should keep in mind is that the AOR 3000a is a
communications receiver and not really meant to be a scanner! New this
radio cost over $1000.00 in the 80's and still cost about the same today!

> I found its AM performance was very average, but most 'scanners' are
> average, The UHF FM was OK


>>Hi all,

>>I was wondering how the AOR AR-3000A preforms on VHF and UHF airband.  I
>>have the chance of getting a cheap one and want to know how they perform.

>>--
>>Regards
>>Troy Rowland

 
 
 

AR-3000A on airband

Post by kevca » Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:26:52

what I want to know is have AOR replaced the 3000 with the AR-One?
I know you could still buy a brand new 3000 up until a couple of years
ago
and people are still paying near $1000 for them second hand

Kev


> One thing everybody should keep in mind is that the AOR 3000a is a
> communications receiver and not really meant to be a scanner! New this
> radio cost over $1000.00 in the 80's and still cost about the same today!


> > I found its AM performance was very average, but most 'scanners' are
> > average, The UHF FM was OK


> >>Hi all,

> >>I was wondering how the AOR AR-3000A preforms on VHF and UHF airband.  I
> >>have the chance of getting a cheap one and want to know how they perform.

> >>--
> >>Regards
> >>Troy Rowland