Suggestions for 2m mag-mount antenna

Suggestions for 2m mag-mount antenna

Post by Michael D. Lubrec » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I just bought my first ham unit, an Icom W31A, and would now like to hook
up a mag mount antenna on my truck for mobile operation. (I already got
the 12v adapter). Does anyone have suggestions for a good one that doesn't
cost a small fortune?

Thanks in advance,
Mike KC7NOE

 
 
 

Suggestions for 2m mag-mount antenna

Post by Thomas Brockdor » Sun, 19 Nov 1995 04:00:00



Quote:>I just bought my first ham unit, an Icom W31A, and would now like to hook
>up a mag mount antenna on my truck for mobile operation. (I already got
>the 12v adapter). Does anyone have suggestions for a good one that doesn't
>cost a small fortune?

>Thanks in advance,
>Mike KC7NOE

Mike,
MFJ makes a 1/4 wave mag mount, it is $ 14.95. It works good in
the city, near the repeaters. They also make a 5/8 wave, I think
it sells for $24.95, (from Amateur Electronic Supply catalog).
Radio shack sells a 5/8 wave also.($39.95)
There are also other brands for around $39.00. As far as
performance, one is as good as the other. There are some quality
differences though.
If I diddn,t want to spend a lot of money, I would get the MFJ
5/8 wave.

73 de Thomas

 
 
 

Suggestions for 2m mag-mount antenna

Post by w.. » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00



> >I just bought my first ham unit, an Icom W31A, and would now like to hook
> >up a mag mount antenna on my truck for mobile operation. ...

                                ^^^^^

Quote:> MFJ makes a 1/4 wave mag mount, it is $ 14.95. It works good in
> the city, near the repeaters. They also make a 5/8 wave, ...
> If I diddn,t want to spend a lot of money, I would get the MFJ
> 5/8 wave.

I took exactly this sort of advice from my ELMER who drives nice low cars.
You may like me decide you need both.

If this truck is a TRUCK, check the clearances of bridges & parkway
warnings before committing to having ONLY a 5/8wave. It's much easier to
flip a mag-mount with a 5/8-wave lever arm than with a 1/4 wave lever arm.
(2m*40in/m*5/8 = 50" whip) + coil + magnet + truck = tall.

My van stands stands 6'0" tall fully inflated and can squeeze into most
parking garages, and since it has windows & extra seats has passenger
plates is allowed on the local car-only parkways which have 10' limits
and 9'6" giraffe catchers on the ramps.  However, those  lowest giraffe
catchers clean my clock every time with the 5/8 wave, although the
bridge-tickler doesn't actually strike any bridges.  If the 5/8 had a
shorter loading coil, it might just barely fit, but ... I think I'll be
getting an MFJ or R/S 1/4 wave for city driving and tuck the 5/8 wave
in the back for use out in the boonies when I need the gain.

(In the meantime, I've found *one* ramp I can use to get on for my morning
commute's alternate route if I angle it right, as long as I use the
center lane at the next turn!)

--
Bill Ricker, The Swamp-Castle Press    "The freedom of the press belongs

 
 
 

Suggestions for 2m mag-mount antenna

Post by dnor.. » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00




>> >I just bought my first ham unit, an Icom W31A, and would now like to hook
>> >up a mag mount antenna on my truck for mobile operation. ...
>                                ^^^^^

snip

Quote:>I took exactly this sort of advice from my ELMER who drives nice low cars.
>You may like me decide you need both.
>If this truck is a TRUCK, check the clearances of bridges & parkway
>warnings before committing to having ONLY a 5/8wave. It's much easier to
>flip a mag-mount with a 5/8-wave lever arm than with a 1/4 wave lever arm.
>(2m*40in/m*5/8 = 50" whip) + coil + magnet + truck = tall.
>My van stands stands 6'0" tall fully inflated and can squeeze into most
>parking garages, and since it has windows & extra seats has passenger
>plates is allowed on the local car-only parkways which have 10' limits
>and 9'6" giraffe catchers on the ramps.  However, those  lowest giraffe
>catchers clean my clock every time with the 5/8 wave, although the
>bridge-tickler doesn't actually strike any bridges.  If the 5/8 had a
>shorter loading coil, it might just barely fit, but ... I think I'll be
>getting an MFJ or R/S 1/4 wave for city driving and tuck the 5/8 wave
>in the back for use out in the boonies when I need the gain.

I just purchased a Ford Explorer and am looking into installing my
FT5200 and DX70T.

I have a mag mount but it will definately be a tree trimmer.  Also, I
park in a ramp garage at my office bldg.  Not a real bunch of choices.
Therefore, I decided to forego the underground parking and give up my
garage here at home and use the mag.  But, I can tip it when I DO want
to park inside.  As to the DX70T, I am gonna 'gasp' _DRILL_ a hole in
the side (against the XYL wishes) and mount the Hustler mast on a ball
mount.  What the heck, the Explorer is for off road and will get
scratches anyway.

GL

DX....Dean