FCC Public Notice

FCC Public Notice

Post by Gary P. Fibe » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

Well  These types of notices usually mean some forth coming action from
the FCC, we'll see if they tell the manufacturers to stop making the HF
amateur radios capable of being opened up for all band TX.
This may be the start of new enforcement action to control illegal
operation of amateur equipment.

PUBLIC NOTICE
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
1919 M STREET NW
WASHINGTON, D.C.  2055462882                                        

News media information  202/418-0500.    
Recorded listing of releases and texts  202/418-2222.

                               May 13, 1996

               Extended Coverage High Frequency Transceivers

       The purpose of this Public Notice is to clarify the Commission's
Rules regarding equipment
that is intended to operate in various radio services in the high
frequency radio spectrum, including
"10-Meter" Amateur Radio Service (ARS) equipment.

       The Commission has noted that a number of transceivers imported as
ARS equipment are
also capable of transmitting and are being operated in nearby frequency
bands allocated to other
radio services such as the Private Land Mobile Radio Services, Maritime
Services, Auxiliary
Broadcast Services, International Broadcasting Services, the Citizens Band
Radio Service, and the
U.S. Government.  Operation of this equipment causes interference to the
authorized users of
these frequencies.  Some of these transceivers are capable of using output
powers or emission
types which are not permitted for the radio services listed above and some
are capable of
transmitting in the radio astronomy band where no two-way
radiocommunication is permitted.
Some manufacturers are promoting the sale of conversion kits, or have
designed their transceivers
such that they can easily be modified by the users, to extend the
operating frequency range into
the frequency bands listed above.  In addition, so called "export" radios
which are deliberately
designed to facilitate this capability are also being imported and
marketed.

      Manufacturers, importers, vendors and users of these transceivers
are reminded that
transmitters intended for operation on frequencies allocated to any of the
FCC authorized radio
services listed above, except the ARS, must be type accepted by the
Commission for the particular
radio service(s) in which they are intended to operate prior to their
importation, marketing or use.
The Commission considers that the transceivers discussed above are
intended to be operated on
frequencies where the use of type accepted equipment is required, because
of the simplicity of
modifying them to extend their operating frequency range.  Transmitters
designed and intended for
use only in the ARS must comply with the applicable technical standards
contained in Part 97 of
the Commission's Rules but are not required to be type accepted.

      It is a violation of the Commission's regulations to: (1) import or
market a transmitter that is
designed or intended to operate on frequencies outside of the ARS bands,
if it has not been issued
a grant of equipment authorization for the radio service(s) in which the
transmitter is capable of
operating; (2) import, market or operate a transmitter that requires a
grant of equipment
authorization but for which no grant has been issued; or, (3) transmit on
a frequency allocated to a
licensed radio service without the appropriate Commission-issued station
license.  Violation of the
Commission's regulations will subject manufacturers, importers, vendors
and users of this
equipment to appropriate criminal penalties as provided for by federal
law(s), including fines and/or
imprisonment.  In addition, the equipment described above can be seized
by, and forfeited to, the
government.

      For further information concerning this Public Notice, contact Gary
Hendrickson at the FCC
Laboratory, 7435-A Oakland Mills Road, Columbia, Md. 21046, (301)
725-1585, Extension 223, or

 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by Stev » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00



Quote:

>Well  These types of notices usually mean some forth coming action from
>the FCC, we'll see if they tell the manufacturers to stop making the HF
>amateur radios capable of being opened up for all band TX.
>This may be the start of new enforcement action to control illegal
>operation of amateur equipment.

>PUBLIC NOTICE
>FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
>1919 M STREET NW
>WASHINGTON, D.C.  2055462882                                        

This article explains that it is illegal to own equiptment that can
transmit out of the hambands???? That is insane! Well, guess I have
to destroy my HF rig and 2 meter transverter, unless we get an hf
band that is 4 MHz wide!
 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by Radioma » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

i haven't read the notice, but i suspect you're over-reacting.
probably prohibits future manufacture of such units.
the rules against using it out of bands is already on books.
enforcement will be impossible on units in field; easier to deal with a
dozen manufacturers than with millions of us.
cheer up
73s

 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by Gary Fib » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00


>i haven't read the notice, but i suspect you're over-reacting.
>probably prohibits future manufacture of such units.
>the rules against using it out of bands is already on books.
>enforcement will be impossible on units in field; easier to deal with a
>dozen manufacturers than with millions of us.
>cheer up
>73s

No overreaction, experience says when the FCC takes time to remind us of the
rules, they are going to enforce them.  They usually do not send out public
notices for nothing.  May be it will be a real high profile case that just
shakes every one awake for a bit,  lets us know they are still watching.
We'll see what the next 30 to 60 days brings in rulings or cases.

Gary

 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by Rolfe Tess » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00



>No overreaction, experience says when the FCC takes time to remind us of the
>rules, they are going to enforce them.  They usually do not send out public
>notices for nothing.  May be it will be a real high profile case that just
>shakes every one awake for a bit,  lets us know they are still watching.
>We'll see what the next 30 to 60 days brings in rulings or cases.

The underlying issue here is that the market for Japanese-produced HF
equipment is a worldwide one, and different countries have different
rules, different band-plans, etc. Realistically, the manufacturers
have to engineer a design that is easily adaptable to different
regions. In some areas of the world, amateur HF gear is used in
preference to commercial equipment simply because it's cheaper. This
is also a market that the manufacturers need to take into account.

Personally, I think this is much ado about nothing, unless there are
major high-profile cases of abuse that haven't been
publicized. Furthermore, this type of regulation is a losing battle;
witness the fact that, while Motorola commercial HTs are theoretically
not user-programmable, anyone who really wants to can get them
reprogrammed to any frequencies the unit covers.

Rolfe
W3VH

--
Rolfe Tessem         |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.

(212) 463-0029       |     New York, NY 10014

 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by WB3 » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00


>This article explains that it is illegal to own equiptment that
>can transmit out of the hambands???? That is insane!

Many CB'ers have had their equipment confiscated on the basis that
it was capable of transmitting in an unauthorized manner.  In the
past, those of us with Amateur Radio licenses seemed to enjoy an
unwritten privelage in this regard.  It's no wonder the F.C.C. is
changing its position, especially given the continued abuses (like
the frequent mods published in these newsgroups).  Hams have now
demonstrated their ignorance of the need for type acceptance in
other services, and that they can no longer be trusted to comply.

73,
Jack  WB3U

 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by Hank Turn » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>>PUBLIC NOTICE
>>FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
>>1919 M STREET NW
>>WASHINGTON, D.C.  2055462882                                        

>This article explains that it is illegal to own equiptment that can
>transmit out of the hambands???? That is insane! Well, guess I have
>to destroy my HF rig and 2 meter transverter, unless we get an hf
>band that is 4 MHz wide!

Actually I believe this is all directed not at the amateur service,
but at those CBers who buy "10 meter" rigs and bootleg between
27.405 and 28.000 and also below 26.965.

Federal enforcement there seems to be nearly nil.  They are doing
preemptive enforcement.  What would be great and would certainly help
the situation would be to type accept 10 meter only gear.  I know of
no ham that uses an RCI made radio on ten.

Hank
KC5FLJ

 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by WB3 » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>Actually I believe this is all directed not at the amateur service,
>but at those CBers who buy "10 meter" rigs and bootleg between
>27.405 and 28.000 and also below 26.965.

>Federal enforcement there seems to be nearly nil.  They are doing
>preemptive enforcement.  What would be great and would certainly help
>the situation would be to type accept 10 meter only gear.  I know of
>no ham that uses an RCI made radio on ten.

Type acceptance would be a waste of everyone's time and money.
Besides, who cares what a CB'er does beow 28 MHz?  The solution
is to prohibit sales of equipment capable of transmitting on the
Amateur bands to unlicensed individuals.

73,
Jack  WB3U

 
 
 

FCC Public Notice

Post by JJ Mart » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[Previous text deleted...]

Quote:> I know of no ham that uses an RCI made radio on ten.
>Hank
>KC5FLJ

Hank, I'm one who doesn't  use an RCI made radio on ten.  I've never
even used an RCI made radio.  :)

===========================================
cheers! jim martin, wk1v
lowell, mass
http://www.shore.net/~jjmartin/jjm.htm