Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Post by o10.. » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Which of the two is best.  My '94 Passport to World Radio lists them  
as about equal, overall, with the Sony having synchronous detector  
and the Yachtboy better sound, plus miscellaneous minor plusses and  
minuses for each.

I'd especially appreciate the views of anyone who has tried both.  
Lacking that, I'd simply appreciate the views of owners as to what  
they like and dislike about their choice.

Thanks,
Tony

 
 
 

Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Post by Steve Michael » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00



> Which of the two is best.  My '94 Passport to World Radio lists them
> as about equal, overall, with the Sony having synchronous detector
> and the Yachtboy better sound, plus miscellaneous minor plusses and
> minuses for each.

> I'd especially appreciate the views of anyone who has tried both.
> Lacking that, I'd simply appreciate the views of owners as to what
> they like and dislike about their choice.

> Thanks,
> Tony

This is a subject that has been beaten to death.  I'll add my 2 cents -
I own the Sony 7600G.  I considered the YB400 also.  I bought my Sony 6
months ago and don't regret it.  They are both great, solid radios.  You
would be happy with either one.  The reason I bought the Sony was that I
use rechargable batteries in it and it takes 4, the YB takes 6, and most
rechargers hold 4 batteries at a time.  Obviously not a great way to
pick a performance radio, but they are too close to call between them.
Now, if the YB held 4 batteries, I don't know which one I would have
picked, since they are just so close, it's a matter of personal
preference.

Steve

 
 
 

Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Post by Casey Ba » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

What's the reason for the oft-cited observations of poor sound
on the Sony 7600(G)? Is it the mounting and/or size of the speaker
or is it something inherent in the audio circuit? Would using a high
quality set of headphones mitigate this shortcoming?

-- Casey



>> Which of the two is best.  My '94 Passport to World Radio lists them
>> as about equal, overall, with the Sony having synchronous detector
>> and the Yachtboy better sound, plus miscellaneous minor plusses and
>> minuses for each.

[request for viewpoints snipped]

Quote:>> Thanks,
>> Tony

>This is a subject that has been beaten to death.  I'll add my 2 cents -
>I own the Sony 7600G.  I considered the YB400 also.  I bought my Sony 6
>months ago and don't regret it.  They are both great, solid radios.  You

[ reason for choosing Sony over YB snipped]

Quote:

>Steve

--
********************************

677-6247 (voice), 677-9147 (fax)
********************************
 
 
 

Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Post by ra.. » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00


> What's the reason for the oft-cited observations of poor sound
> on the Sony 7600(G)? Is it the mounting and/or size of the speaker
> or is it something inherent in the audio circuit? Would using a high
> quality set of headphones mitigate this shortcoming?

> -- Casey



> >> Which of the two is best.  My '94 Passport to World Radio lists them
> >> as about equal, overall, with the Sony having synchronous detector
> >> and the Yachtboy better sound, plus miscellaneous minor plusses and
> >> minuses for each.

> [request for viewpoints snipped]

> >> Thanks,
> >> Tony

> >This is a subject that has been beaten to death.  I'll add my 2 cents -
> >I own the Sony 7600G.  I considered the YB400 also.  I bought my Sony 6
> >months ago and don't regret it.  They are both great, solid radios.  You

> [ reason for choosing Sony over YB snipped]

> >Steve

> --
> ********************************

> 677-6247 (voice), 677-9147 (fax)
> ********************************

0

I have to add my 2 cents too. The asynchronous detection on the Sony
is very handy, especially when there is interference from an adjacent
strong station. Switching on the detection can quell a great deal of
interference, and boost the sound level of weak stations. That said,
the fm section on mine appears to be going, with more and more strong
local fm frequencies cracking up. Has anyone else experienced this.
I will probably be having to return it.

Jeff Rabin

More programable frequencies would be nice too.

 
 
 

Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Post by Daphne Maure » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Synchronous detection can be wonderful but it can't reduce distortion
below the level of the basic radio.  For whatever it's worth, we had a
7600 for a week but returned it.  Couldn't abide the sound.  We replaced
it for travelling with a 400.  I have no idea whether it will receive as
many stations but what it will receive we can stand to listen to.  

--Charles Maurer

 
 
 

Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Post by H.R. Las » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Synchronous detection can be wonderful but it can't reduce distortion
: below the level of the basic radio.  For whatever it's worth, we had a
: 7600 for a week but returned it.  Couldn't abide the sound.  We replaced
: it for travelling with a 400.  I have no idea whether it will receive as
: many stations but what it will receive we can stand to listen to.  

: --Charles Maurer

Hi. I received a new Sony 7600 the other day as an insurance fulfillment
replacement for an older Sony SW that was recently stolen out of my car.
The older radio had manual tuning and of course the 7600 is fully
digital so it's a huge improvement. I used to find it nearly impossible
to lock onto stations with a manual tuning dial that didn't have
a fine tuning sub-dial.

I'm not a "serious" shortwave radio listener. I bought the older
Sony in '91 during the Gulf War to listen to foreign broadcasts.
(A local electronics dealer told me they were having a literal run
on SW radios at that time). I just like to tune across the bands
now and then to see what I can pick up. So most all of my knowledge
of these things is from the manuals and publicity literature,not from
other users.  

Can you explain to me a bit more why you consider sync detection to
be an undesireable feature? I'm trying out all the bells'n'whistles
of the Sony 7600 and thought it was a fairly impressive unit. Although
in typical Sony fashion like a lot of their gear it seems to have
a lot of buttons that if you don't use them a lot you forget what
they're for :)

BTW, after two days of using it I thought the 7600 had one of the
nicer speakers I've ever heard in a smallish portable radio.

Regards,
Harv
*Portal AmigaZone has moved to CalWeb - signup is FREE!
*Call 1-800-509-9322 (24 hrs.), say "Amiga Zone sent me."
*Visit http://www.amigazone.com for more info.

 
 
 

Sony 7600 or Yachtboy 400?

Post by W. Scott Gibs » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Can you explain to me a bit more why you consider sync detection to
>be an undesireable feature?

I've also got a Sony 7600G and think the synchronous detection is one
of the most powerful features ever put in a portable. It allows many
more stations to be listened to than would otherwise be possible.

Quote:

>BTW, after two days of using it I thought the 7600 had one of the
>nicer speakers I've ever heard in a smallish portable radio.

I don't have any problem with the sound either. I listened to both of
them. The Yacht boy may have better sound through the speaker, but
neither one of them is high fidelity. FM stereo sounds very good
through headphones on the Sony.

Scott Gibson