Luke DP-976

Luke DP-976

Post by Randall » Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:10:11

This is a portable radio with a dynamo and solar panel.  Anyone bought a
radio from this company ( Luke )? The one I bought is a lemon.
 
 
 

Luke DP-976

Post by Dave » Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:22:39


I picked one up off of eBay about 6 years ago, and it worked for three or
four.  What's wrong with your lemon?  If you would like, sell it to me for
$10.00.  I can use the spare parts.

Dave


Quote:> This is a portable radio with a dynamo and solar panel.  Anyone bought a
> radio from this company ( Luke )? The one I bought is a lemon.

 
 
 

Luke DP-976

Post by Randall » Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:41:37


> I picked one up off of eBay about 6 years ago, and it worked for three or
> four.  What's wrong with your lemon?  If you would like, sell it to me for
> $10.00.  I can use the spare parts.

> Dave


Problem #1: I think it has Ni-Mh cells inside.....every time I look at Ni-Mh
cells in stores, they say they require a special charger....yet a
dynamo/solar panel are supposed to charge them fine? I think one of the
cells died on me, only 2 or 3 months after I bought the radio.  I can charge
the radio with sunlight for 3 days and it'll still give me bad, distored,
moderately weak reception ( as if it's giving me 2 cells worth of electric
power ). Oh, and since the cells are hard wired, it's not very simple to
replace them when they die.

Problem #2:  The tuning dial sometimes get stuck....I spin the knob but the
dial stays where it is, maybe 1/3 of the way from one edge of the freq
range.

Problem #3:  The switch for the frequency is very figetty; sometimes I lose
the broadcast and I have to jiggle the switch.

Problem #4:  Design fault in shape of radio.  The top of the radio slants
downward, towards the back...that means for best solar power the back of the
radio would be facing 'toward' the sun....but that's the same direction the
speaker is facing!
Either put the speaker on the front of the radio or make the top slope in
the opposite direction.

 
 
 

Luke DP-976

Post by Dave » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 21:29:15




> > I picked one up off of eBay about 6 years ago, and it worked for three
or
> > four.  What's wrong with your lemon?  If you would like, sell it to me
for
> > $10.00.  I can use the spare parts.

> > Dave

> Problem #1: I think it has Ni-Mh cells inside.....every time I look at
Ni-Mh
> cells in stores, they say they require a special charger....yet a
> dynamo/solar panel are supposed to charge them fine? I think one of the
> cells died on me, only 2 or 3 months after I bought the radio.  I can
charge
> the radio with sunlight for 3 days and it'll still give me bad, distored,
> moderately weak reception ( as if it's giving me 2 cells worth of electric
> power ). Oh, and since the cells are hard wired, it's not very simple to
> replace them when they die.

> Problem #2:  The tuning dial sometimes get stuck....I spin the knob but
the
> dial stays where it is, maybe 1/3 of the way from one edge of the freq
> range.

> Problem #3:  The switch for the frequency is very figetty; sometimes I
lose
> the broadcast and I have to jiggle the switch.

> Problem #4:  Design fault in shape of radio.  The top of the radio slants
> downward, towards the back...that means for best solar power the back of
the
> radio would be facing 'toward' the sun....but that's the same direction
the
> speaker is facing!
> Either put the speaker on the front of the radio or make the top slope in
> the opposite direction.

Hmmm.  Let me think about it.  I may still be interested.

Thanks,

Dave

 
 
 

Luke DP-976

Post by Randall » Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:15:05




> > > I picked one up off of eBay about 6 years ago, and it worked for three
> or
> > > four.  What's wrong with your lemon?  If you would like, sell it to me
> for
> > > $10.00.  I can use the spare parts.

> > > Dave

> Hmmm.  Let me think about it.  I may still be interested.

> Thanks,

> Dave

I listed my complaints to merely complain about it's design...I wasn't
seeking some sort of sale..