KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by pete v » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 19:16:29


Anybody know anything about KAIJ -  the sole shortwave
broadcaster in Dallas? (Maybe Texas!) They run Gene Scott
24hrs. What a waste of a facility.
You think if a shortwave station ran only radio related content-
ham, shortwave, propagation, professional news, hobby news,
call-in, vintage, spectrum issues,  etc, there'd be enough of a "shortwave"
audience to make
it viable to advertisers? (current economy not considered)
-Pete
 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by Maximo Lachm » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 19:59:18



> Anybody know anything about KAIJ -  the sole shortwave
> broadcaster in Dallas? (Maybe Texas!) They run Gene Scott
> 24hrs. What a waste of a facility.

You can say that for EVERY MW station in the U.S. as not one of them will
broadcast state news, and some of them only broadcast national network
news and never any local news. BTW, any shortwave stations broadcasting
Pacifica news?

Quote:> You think if a shortwave station ran only radio related content-
> ham, shortwave, propagation, professional news, hobby news,
> call-in, vintage, spectrum issues,  etc, there'd be enough of a "shortwave"
> audience to make
> it viable to advertisers? (current economy not considered)

The closest thing to that is about a 2 hour stretch on WWCR from 1.30 to
4.00 GMT on 5070 Sunday. There are a few advertisers for the AARL show, but
the others seem to be public service, gratis by the station.
 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by Richard McCollu » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:50:11

Gene Scott owns it.


Quote:> Anybody know anything about KAIJ -  the sole shortwave
> broadcaster in Dallas? (Maybe Texas!) They run Gene Scott
> 24hrs. What a waste of a facility.
> You think if a shortwave station ran only radio related content-
> ham, shortwave, propagation, professional news, hobby news,
> call-in, vintage, spectrum issues,  etc, there'd be enough of a
"shortwave"
> audience to make
> it viable to advertisers? (current economy not considered)
> -Pete

 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by GSthurm » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 06:05:22

Quote:>Gene Scott owns it.

This is incorrect.  Gene Scott buys the time from them.  Gene Scott legally
cannot own a broadcast station in the USA aynmore because of some legal
problems about 10 years ago.  In fact, the
radio and TV stations he did own were taken away from him, and the FCC will not
ever issue him any type of license again until some questions about how he
spent some money some years ago are answered.
 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by GSthurm » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 06:10:30

Quote:>Anybody know anything about KAIJ -  the sole >shortwave broadcaster in Dallas?

(Maybe Texas!) >They run Gene Scott 24hrs. What a waste of a > facility.

Dr. Scott buys all of the airtime.  He can not own a
broadcast station in the USA anymore, so he buys airtime.  Funny you should ask
about KAIJ, because I hear that the station is being sold by the
company in Seattle that owns them, and hopefully there may be some changes
thier programming.

GST

--

 RUSH IS RIGHT....AND THE RIGHT IS WRONG !!!                                  
      HATE, BIGOTRY, AND INTOLERANCE ARE NOT FAMILY VALUES                    

 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by Charles Geor » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:31:04

Quote:>You can say that for EVERY MW station in the U.S. as not one of them will
>broadcast state news, and some of them only broadcast national network
>news and never any local news. BTW, any shortwave stations broadcasting
>Pacifica news?

You exaggerate, but I know you are close to the truth.  KRLD 1080 does a lot of
local news.  KMOX also has lots of news about St. Louis and cities in its
primary coverage area.
My favorite show from KMOX though is their Jazz show, 8pm - 2am, Sat. The host
has a better variety of Jazz than many FM stations that claim to have Jazz.

Charles George, KC5RAI

 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by pete v » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:06:07

After doing some searches, I found the station's original owner
to be Two If By Sea Broacasting, Inc., in Washington.
The station's in Frisco, TX. Some interesting links:

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~BCLSWL/QSL0102.html

(japanese site, copy of a qsl stating "company has 5 transmitters
in Costa Rica (must be Scotts!)

http://www.fcc.gov/ib/pnd/neg/hf_web/xkaij1.txt

FCC station record showing location, transmitter and antenna types

http://ftp.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2001/db0411/pnin0174...

pdf FCC public notice file showing apparent transfer of station to Peoria
Broadcasting
in April, 2001.

Right in my own backyard!
-Pete
W5LRX

 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by tommy we » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:00:16

if i remember correctly the sation was used years ago by dr criswel of
first baptist church dallas and criswell bible institute. i think the
call letters were kcbi;

tom webb
dallas, tx

 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by Charles Geor » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:58:11

Quote:>if i remember correctly the sation was used years ago by dr criswel of
>first baptist church dallas and criswell bible institute. i think the
>call letters were kcbi;

>tom webb
>dallas, tx

Yes, it was in the educational building of  The First Baptist Church, this was
when KCBI  (FM) also was still there and had not moved to the old KPLX studios.
They would simulcast portions of the FM and break away to do other programming
at times. Also Criswell Bible Institute was across the street, now it is
located on Gaston Avenue.
Problem with KCBI on shortwave was it had Christianity from a U.S. viewpoint
rather than a view that would be found elsewhere in the world.

Charles George, KC5RAI

P.S.  I find HCJB has good programs that they produce there at the station, but
many programs from other sources sound too much like U.S. issues.

 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by Michael Rathb » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:50:46

In rec.radio.shortwave on 14 Jul 2001 10:16:29 GMT,


>Anybody know anything about KAIJ -  the sole shortwave
>broadcaster in Dallas? (Maybe Texas!)

I live almost exactly 7 miles southeast of the KAIJ transmitter site.  It isn't
in Dallas, it is in Denton County, TX, in an unincorporated area within the ETJ
boundary of Frisco, TX.  Quite an antenna farm.
 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by Me » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:50:55

What's their Frequency kennith? :)

> In rec.radio.shortwave on 14 Jul 2001 10:16:29 GMT,

> >Anybody know anything about KAIJ -  the sole shortwave
> >broadcaster in Dallas? (Maybe Texas!)

> I live almost exactly 7 miles southeast of the KAIJ transmitter site.  It isn't
> in Dallas, it is in Denton County, TX, in an unincorporated area within the ETJ
> boundary of Frisco, TX.  Quite an antenna farm.

 
 
 

KAIJ Dallas + shortwave formats

Post by Kevin Burne » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:02:33


> What's their Frequency kennith? :)

That would be "Kenneth", you moron.


>> In rec.radio.shortwave on 14 Jul 2001 10:16:29 GMT,

>> >Anybody know anything about KAIJ -  the sole shortwave
>> >broadcaster in Dallas? (Maybe Texas!)

>> I live almost exactly 7 miles southeast of the KAIJ transmitter site.  It isn't
>> in Dallas, it is in Denton County, TX, in an unincorporated area within the ETJ
>> boundary of Frisco, TX.  Quite an antenna farm.

--
Kevin Burnett                              http://www.catnip.org/