Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Stev » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 04:17:44

Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
no expert.

When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

Thanks a bunch.

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by starma » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 05:04:24


6/15/02

AFAIK the first model year with the selectable sideband sync' must have
a serial number that begins with a '6' for 1996. I looked at the Nov.
96' MT article and it confirms this. I guess it's conceivable that Drake
incorporated the new sync' system in a few late 95' models but I've
never heard of it. However the sellers description of his SW8 does sound
like it has selectable sideband sync. That's the way my 96' model works
too. You'll probably have to contact Drake to get the definitive answer
on this matter. Ask for Bill Frost in the service department.
*****


> Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
> the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

> I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
> version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
> or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
> 5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
> no expert.

> When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
> display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
> he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
> display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
> owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

> Thanks a bunch.

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Les Lockle » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 05:24:09

<< Subject: Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96
Path:
lobby!ngtf-m01.news.aol.com!ngpeer.news.aol.com!pln-w!extra.newsguy.com!lo
tsanews.com!nntp.kreonet.re.kr!news.maxwell.syr.edu!wn1feed!worldnet.att.n
et!bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!not-for-mail

Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
Lines: 23
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 19:17:44 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Host: 12.88.115.130

X-Trace: bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net 1024168664 12.88.115.130 (Sat, 15
Jun 2002 19:17:44 GMT)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 19:17:44 GMT
Organization: AT&T Worldnet

Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
no expert.

When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

Thanks a bunch.

 >>

Hi Steve,

All units produced after March 31, 1995 with a serial number "Higher" than 5C
feaature the preamp circuit for the whip antenna.

Units produced after January 1, 1996 with a serial number higher than 6A
include coverage down to 100 khz and have sideband selectable syncro.

If you doubt my source, (Universal Radio) call Drake.

Les

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Bob_Parnass_AJ9 » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 06:01:21

The article in November 1996 Monitoring Times
says to look an SW8A bearing a
serial number beginning with 6.  But, it doesn't specifically
rule out units with a slightly lower serial number having
the improved sync detector.

I don't have an SW8A to verify further.
Contact R.L. Drake directly.

--
=========================================================================
Bob Parnass, AJ9S               Linux User                www.parnass.org

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Brian Denle » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:16:40

The SW8 schematics can be purchased from Drake for about $25.  If you buy
them the give you two versions: one set dated in 1994 that is the older one
(like mine) and one set dated 1995 that was used for the newer version.  As
far as I know, that version was sold starting in early 1996 with the number
'6' as the first number of the S/N.  I have the shcematics.

--
Brian Denley
http://home.attbi.com/~bdenley/index.html


Quote:

> Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
> the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

> I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
> version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
> or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
> 5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
> no expert.

> When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
> display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
> he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
> display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
> owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

> Thanks a bunch.

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Stev » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:35:47


>AFAIK the first model year with the selectable sideband sync' must have
>a serial number that begins with a '6' for 1996. I looked at the Nov.
>96' MT article and it confirms this. I guess it's conceivable that Drake
>incorporated the new sync' system in a few late 95' models but I've
>never heard of it. However the sellers description of his SW8 does sound
>like it has selectable sideband sync. That's the way my 96' model works
>too. You'll probably have to contact Drake to get the definitive answer
>on this matter. Ask for Bill Frost in the service department.

Okay, just so I'm understanding you correctly: When you say that's the
way yours works too, you mean from AM SYNC mode ("AM SYNC" showing on
the display) you press SSB and "LSB" only shows on the display but you
are in lower sideband sync-AM?

Yes?


>> Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
>> the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

>> I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
>> version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
>> or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
>> 5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
>> no expert.

>> When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
>> display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
>> he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
>> display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
>> owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

>> Thanks a bunch.

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Stev » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:35:47



Quote:>The SW8 schematics can be purchased from Drake for about $25.  If you buy
>them the give you two versions: one set dated in 1994 that is the older one
>(like mine) and one set dated 1995 that was used for the newer version.  As
>far as I know, that version was sold starting in early 1996 with the number
>'6' as the first number of the S/N.  I have the shcematics.

I know that's the general consensus, but the tricky question is did
some updated versions ship as early as 11/95. What I really need to
understand to communicate with the seller is the behavior of the
display on the two different versions, if any difference exists at
all, which from Starman's post seems it might not.

Thanks.

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Stev » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:35:48


Quote:>All units produced after March 31, 1995 with a serial number "Higher" than 5C
>feaature the preamp circuit for the whip antenna.

That was the belief soon after these changes started to appear, but a
pretty strong case was made in the newsgroup that impedence matching
gave rise to the improved performance on the whip. I don't know for
sure myself.

Quote:>Units produced after January 1, 1996 with a serial number higher than 6A
>include coverage down to 100 khz and have sideband selectable syncro.

>If you doubt my source, (Universal Radio) call Drake.

Universal was one of my many sources that claim the 6A serial number.
I'm sure it's safe, but I'd hate to pass on a 5K mistakenly or pay
more than it's worth.

Don't worry guys, I've emailed Drake and if I haven't heard from them
by Tuesday I'll give them a call.

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Stev » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:39:39

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:01:21 -0500, Bob_Parnass_AJ9S


>The article in November 1996 Monitoring Times
>says to look an SW8A bearing a
>serial number beginning with 6.  But, it doesn't specifically
>rule out units with a slightly lower serial number having
>the improved sync detector.

Thanks, that's encouraging.

Quote:>I don't have an SW8A to verify further.
>Contact R.L. Drake directly.

Have and will do. I'll let you all know if I learn something from
this.
 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by M Kellog » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:49:00

I do recall reading about this, however never pursued
it. I've bought my SW8 used in 1998 at the Shelby
Hamfest and have been very happy with it. Anyone interested
in an SW8 I'd not let "serial-number-itis" worry
you. My R-390A being a "9" on the RX scale, I would rate the
SW8 as an 8.5 behind it.. If you see an SW8 at a swap meet
and it's been well cared for, I'd encourage a purchase of the same.


Quote:

> Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
> the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

> I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
> version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
> or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
> 5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
> no expert.

> When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
> display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
> he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
> display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
> owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

> Thanks a bunch.

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by starma » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:10:49

6/16/02

There is no dedicated whip pre-amp in the so called SW8'A', just better
impedance matching. You can take that to the bank.
*****


> Hi Steve,

> All units produced after March 31, 1995 with a serial number "Higher" than 5C
> feaature the preamp circuit for the whip antenna.

> Units produced after January 1, 1996 with a serial number higher than 6A
> include coverage down to 100 khz and have sideband selectable syncro.

> If you doubt my source, (Universal Radio) call Drake.

> Les

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by Les Lockle » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:16:25

<< Subject: Re: Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV
96

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:10:49 -0400

X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.78 [en]C-CCK-MCD NSCPCD47  (Win98; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave


Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.23.3.211
X-Trace: corp.newsgroups.com 1024260983 209.23.3.211 (16 Jun 2002 15:56:23
-0500)
Lines: 24
X-Comments: This message was posted through Newsfeeds.com
X-Comments2: IMPORTANT: Newsfeeds.com does not condone, nor support,  spam or
any illegal or copyrighted postings.
X-Comments3: IMPORTANT: Under NO circumstances will postings containing illegal
or copyrighted material through this service be tolerated!!

X-Abuse-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers, INCLUDING the
body (DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS)
Organization: Newsfeeds.com http://www.newsfeeds.com 80,000+ UNCENSORED
Newsgroups.
Path:
lobby!ngtf-m01.news.aol.com!ngpeer.news.aol.com!news.maxwell.syr.edu!out.n
ntp.be!propagator2-SanJose!propagator-SanJose!in.nntp.be!corp.newsgroups.c
om!not-for-mail

6/16/02

There is no dedicated whip pre-amp in the so called SW8'A', just better
impedance matching. You can take that to the bank.
*****

Then, Fred Osterman at Universal radio has erred when he inserted that
information into his book "Shortwave Receivers Past and Present" 3rd edition.

Les


> Hi Steve,

> All units produced after March 31, 1995 with a serial number "Higher" than 5C
> feaature the preamp circuit for the whip antenna.

> Units produced after January 1, 1996 with a serial number higher than 6A
> include coverage down to 100 khz and have sideband selectable syncro.

> If you doubt my source, (Universal Radio) call Drake.

> Les

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 >>

 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by starma » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:25:58

6/16/02

That's right. Whenever you press the SSB button in S-AM mode, the sync
detector switches the sideband from LSB to USB or vice versa. If your
seller's SW8 works that way, it's a first for a pre-96' model, AFAIK.

As I said you need to talk to Drake about this. Only they know if some
95' units were made with the new sync' system. However if the seller is
willing to remove the top cover, I can tell you what to look for (a
sync' phase shift PC board) that will answer the question too.
*****



> >AFAIK the first model year with the selectable sideband sync' must have
> >a serial number that begins with a '6' for 1996. I looked at the Nov.
> >96' MT article and it confirms this. I guess it's conceivable that Drake
> >incorporated the new sync' system in a few late 95' models but I've
> >never heard of it. However the sellers description of his SW8 does sound
> >like it has selectable sideband sync. That's the way my 96' model works
> >too. You'll probably have to contact Drake to get the definitive answer
> >on this matter. Ask for Bill Frost in the service department.

> Okay, just so I'm understanding you correctly: When you say that's the
> way yours works too, you mean from AM SYNC mode ("AM SYNC" showing on
> the display) you press SSB and "LSB" only shows on the display but you
> are in lower sideband sync-AM?

> Yes?


> >> Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
> >> the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

> >> I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
> >> version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
> >> or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
> >> 5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
> >> no expert.

> >> When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
> >> display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
> >> he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
> >> display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
> >> owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

> >> Thanks a bunch.

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by starma » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:32:23

6/16/02

I haven't seen his book but he must have believed the pre-amp 'myth'
that's been circulating for several years now. I think it was Larry
Magne in Monitoring Times that confirmed there was no dedicated whip
pre-amp. I've had my 96' SW8 apart many times and I know there's none in
mine.
*****



> 6/16/02

> There is no dedicated whip pre-amp in the so called SW8'A', just better
> impedance matching. You can take that to the bank.
> *****

> Then, Fred Osterman at Universal radio has erred when he inserted that
> information into his book "Shortwave Receivers Past and Present" 3rd edition.

> Les


> > Hi Steve,

> > All units produced after March 31, 1995 with a serial number "Higher" than 5C
> > feaature the preamp circuit for the whip antenna.

> > Units produced after January 1, 1996 with a serial number higher than 6A
> > include coverage down to 100 khz and have sideband selectable syncro.

> > If you doubt my source, (Universal Radio) call Drake.

> > Les

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

Monitoring Times - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A" * -- NOV 96

Post by starma » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:36:13

6/16/02

The serial numbers do make an important difference when it comes to the
sync' detector design. The newer system is much better since it can
reject adjacent channel interference by selecting the sidebands. The
original sync' can't do this.
*****


> I do recall reading about this, however never pursued
> it. I've bought my SW8 used in 1998 at the Shelby
> Hamfest and have been very happy with it. Anyone interested
> in an SW8 I'd not let "serial-number-itis" worry
> you. My R-390A being a "9" on the RX scale, I would rate the
> SW8 as an 8.5 behind it.. If you see an SW8 at a swap meet
> and it's been well cared for, I'd encourage a purchase of the same.



> > Would anyone have a copy of the Nov. 96 issue of Monitoring Times with
> > the article - Drake's Little Secret: the "SW8A".

> > I looking for info on the earliest serial number for the updated
> > version of the SW8. All references I've found indicate it must be 6A
> > or higher, but a seller I'm in contact with claims he has one with a
> > 5K serial number with the selectable sideband synch. He also says he's
> > no expert.

> > When one puts the SW8 in upper or lower sideband synch mode does the
> > display indicate "AM SYNCH USB" or "AM SYNCH LSB"? My seller says when
> > he is in AM SYNCH and presses the SSB button he gets LSB or USB in the
> > display, which sounds like it's simply SSB mode. Can anyone whose
> > owned a SW8 help me figure this out?

> > Thanks a bunch.

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----