Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by anil110002.. » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:43:25

I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

Anil .

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Bruce Romer » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:31:17


AP says it was a tanker that exploded with 27 people on board

Quote:> I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> Anil .

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Bruce Romer » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:00:56

sorry posted to wrong message

> AP says it was a tanker that exploded with 27 people on board


> > I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> > P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> > Anil .

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Gray Shockle » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:18:37



Quote:> I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> Anil .

If all else is equal, go with the Sangean.

Always.

/gray/

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Sanjay » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:28:17


> I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> Anil .

Your earlier posts show you are concerned about cost.
(example... the $20 difference between the DE1101 and DE1102)
So it's obvious here you should pick the DE1102, unless you
can get a Sangean ATS-505 for about $70 total cost.

Both radios are good for SW. The Sangean has better sound from
the speaker.

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by anil110002.. » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:35:29




> > I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> > P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> > Anil .

> If all else is equal, go with the Sangean.

> Always.

> /gray/

         1. Sangean technology is 5 years old .Are they both Dual conversion ?

         2. Sensitivity

         3. Selectivity

 Is it possible to specify # 2 and # 3 in technical terms ?

 Reviews are sometimes confusing , can someone who had tested both the
receivers thoroghly give me an unbiased opinion .

Cheers
Anil

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Diverd47 » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:41:45



>I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
>P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

>Anil .

An external antenna is most important here..
 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by anil110002.. » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:03:05



> > I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> > P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> > Anil .

> Your earlier posts show you are concerned about cost.
> (example... the $20 difference between the DE1101 and DE1102)
> So it's obvious here you should pick the DE1102, unless you
> can get a Sangean ATS-505 for about $70 total cost.

> Both radios are good for SW. The Sangean has better sound from
> the speaker.

           I wasn't sure about the use of SSB in SW radio . Sangean
costs around $120 and not $ 70 . The difference between the KA 1102
and ATS 505
is only marginal , but how about technology wise , are they both same
?

        The dual conversion of Sangean ATS - 505 is not claimed on
many  reviews and that's the reason I am awaiting feedback from the
experienced
members like you who can advise a novice and a new entrant like me .

           Your advise is of paramount importance .

Regards ,
Anil

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Diverd47 » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:24:57

Anil:
Here are a few reviews;

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/ats505.html

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1102.htm

- And heres another website,  noting Sangean 505a

http://home.att.net/~monster-masher/radio.htm

It's a hard choice..

as a primary radio, with price as a consideration but wanting
(NNNN ) feature(s)

i'd go with the....

Dan

 ;-)



>Subject:    Re: Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

>Date:       29 Feb 2004 08:03:05 -0800




>> > I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
>> > P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

>> > Anil .

>> Your earlier posts show you are concerned about cost.
>> (example... the $20 difference between the DE1101 and DE1102)
>> So it's obvious here you should pick the DE1102, unless you
>> can get a Sangean ATS-505 for about $70 total cost.

>> Both radios are good for SW. The Sangean has better sound from
>> the speaker.

>           I wasn't sure about the use of SSB in SW radio . Sangean
>costs around $120 and not $ 70 . The difference between the KA 1102
>and ATS 505
>is only marginal , but how about technology wise , are they both same
>?

>        The dual conversion of Sangean ATS - 505 is not claimed on
>many  reviews and that's the reason I am awaiting feedback from the
>experienced
>members like you who can advise a novice and a new entrant like me .

>           Your advise is of paramount importance .

>Regards ,
>Anil

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Sanjay » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:38:42



> > > I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> > > P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> > > Anil .

> > Your earlier posts show you are concerned about cost.
> > (example... the $20 difference between the DE1101 and DE1102)
> > So it's obvious here you should pick the DE1102, unless you
> > can get a Sangean ATS-505 for about $70 total cost.

> > Both radios are good for SW. The Sangean has better sound from
> > the speaker.

>            I wasn't sure about the use of SSB in SW radio . Sangean
> costs around $120 and not $ 70 . The difference between the KA 1102
> and ATS 505
> is only marginal , but how about technology wise , are they both same
> ?

>         The dual conversion of Sangean ATS - 505 is not claimed on
> many  reviews and that's the reason I am awaiting feedback from the
> experienced
> members like you who can advise a novice and a new entrant like me .

>            Your advise is of paramount importance .

> Regards ,
> Anil

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by AC Smi » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:03:33




> >I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> >P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> >Anil .

> An external antenna is most important here..

I just ordered a Degen 1102 from eBay.  For $49.50 + 19.00 shipping, I
receive a dual conversion, SSB capable SW radio with 190 memories.  It
also comes with the rechargeable batteries that charge in the radio,
ear buds with bass booster and a reel out external antenna.  At the
very least, it has an external antenna input.

And the trick thing about it is that its whole keypad lights up in a
deep blue color as well as the display for night DXing.

Do a search for the seller Liypn and you will find silver and black
models together.  He replied within 15 minutes of me making the
purchase, told the day he is shipping and said that packages usually
come in 7 to 10 days, which has been corroborated with other buyers I
have read here in rec.radio.shortwave.

The radio is just over 5" long!

Good luck on your decision.  My other radios are a Grundig Satellit
800 and a Grundig S-350.

acs

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Diverd47 » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:35:52

Several people I know have gotten the 505A and been very impressed with it.

I currently have a Sangean 606a ( Take it everywhere)
along with a SONY AN-LP 1
A Icom R-75 ( & 100 foot random Wire )
and a Jwin JX - m13 ( $13.00)

So for the time being, Am set for small radios

Will see how the " Long Awaited" Sangean 636 shakes out, when it is shipped
or whatever;
And then theres the development of the New MW / SW receiver Pete's company
( Pete KE9OA )
 is working on..

Dan



>Subject:    Re: Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

>Date:       29 Feb 2004 13:03:33 -0800





>> >I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
>> >P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

>> >Anil .

>> An external antenna is most important here..

>I just ordered a Degen 1102 from eBay.  For $49.50 + 19.00 shipping, I
>receive a dual conversion, SSB capable SW radio with 190 memories.  It
>also comes with the rechargeable batteries that charge in the radio,
>ear buds with bass booster and a reel out external antenna.  At the
>very least, it has an external antenna input.

>And the trick thing about it is that its whole keypad lights up in a
>deep blue color as well as the display for night DXing.

>Do a search for the seller Liypn and you will find silver and black
>models together.  He replied within 15 minutes of me making the
>purchase, told the day he is shipping and said that packages usually
>come in 7 to 10 days, which has been corroborated with other buyers I
>have read here in rec.radio.shortwave.

>The radio is just over 5" long!

>Good luck on your decision.  My other radios are a Grundig Satellit
>800 and a Grundig S-350.

>acs

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by DeWayn » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:47:19





> > >I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> > >P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> > >Anil .

> > An external antenna is most important here..

> I just ordered a Degen 1102 from eBay.  For $49.50 + 19.00 shipping, I
> receive a dual conversion, SSB capable SW radio with 190 memories.  It
> also comes with the rechargeable batteries that charge in the radio,
> ear buds with bass booster and a reel out external antenna.  At the
> very least, it has an external antenna input.

Which color did you get? It's gotta be better than the ATS-505. I've owned
two of them and didn't like!
DeWayne

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> And the trick thing about it is that its whole keypad lights up in a
> deep blue color as well as the display for night DXing.

> Do a search for the seller Liypn and you will find silver and black
> models together.  He replied within 15 minutes of me making the
> purchase, told the day he is shipping and said that packages usually
> come in 7 to 10 days, which has been corroborated with other buyers I
> have read here in rec.radio.shortwave.

> The radio is just over 5" long!

> Good luck on your decision.  My other radios are a Grundig Satellit
> 800 and a Grundig S-350.

> acs

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Mike » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:50:51





>>Subject:        Re: Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

>>Date:   29 Feb 2004 13:03:33 -0800





>>> >I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
>>> >P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

>>> >Anil .

>>> An external antenna is most important here..

>>I just ordered a Degen 1102 from eBay.  For $49.50 + 19.00 shipping, I
>>receive a dual conversion, SSB capable SW radio with 190 memories.  It
>>also comes with the rechargeable batteries that charge in the radio,
>>ear buds with bass booster and a reel out external antenna.  At the
>>very least, it has an external antenna input.

>>And the trick thing about it is that its whole keypad lights up in a
>>deep blue color as well as the display for night DXing.

>>Do a search for the seller Liypn and you will find silver and black
>>models together.  He replied within 15 minutes of me making the
>>purchase, told the day he is shipping and said that packages usually
>>come in 7 to 10 days, which has been corroborated with other buyers I
>>have read here in rec.radio.shortwave.

>>The radio is just over 5" long!

>>Good luck on your decision.  My other radios are a Grundig Satellit
>>800 and a Grundig S-350.

>>acs

>Several people I know have gotten the 505A and been very impressed with it.

Too bad everyone started thinking of this only when the competition (cheap
Degen/Kaito portables) came out.

Last year at this time, Radio Shack was closing out the last of their own
brand shortwave sets. Their version of the ATS-505 was going for $49 if
you could find one.

 
 
 

Sangean ATS 505P Vs Kaito KA 1102

Post by Da » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:44:07

You can get the Sangean ATS-909 new for $199 from Amazon.  Just spring
the extra bucks and get the ATS-909.  It's the top of the line
portable
and it works really great.

Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000228GG/qid=10781482...


> I am in a fix which one of them is good choice between Sangean ATS 505
> P / Kaito KA 1102 . My primary requirement is SW reception .

> Anil .