DX Cluster for Shortwave??

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Ai de h » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 02:12:06

As a Ham, I sometimes rely on Eham's DX Cluster to locate rare DX
stations...Wondering if there's a DX Cluster for Shortwave or if anybody's ever
considered this.  Seems like a good idea and somewhat reduces the randomness of
SWLing....

Your thoughts?

Ed NI6S

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Ken Wilso » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 03:22:02


Ed,

 I sure wish there were. None I know of ????

There is a SWL chat-room type of thing. Star chat or something ? I do not
know a thing about using a chat room so I stay away.

At times there are some tips here. Most of the veteran DX'ers appear to
avoid being here. I guess I can understand ..... with all of the junk that
is posted here.

73,  Ken  KG4BIG



Quote:> As a Ham, I sometimes rely on Eham's DX Cluster to locate rare DX
> stations...Wondering if there's a DX Cluster for Shortwave or if anybody's
ever
> considered this.  Seems like a good idea and somewhat reduces the
randomness of
> SWLing....

> Your thoughts?

> Ed NI6S

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by J999 » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:51:34

This is what you want guys:

http://dxworld.com/swbclog.html

Also the LW NDB gets a lot of action. BCB not so much so, the big boys of BCB
DXing use the NRC mailing list.

jw
wb9uai

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Maximu » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:56:01

This place is better than most <s>. I thought this place was where we could
post our findings for review of fellow listeners ? If more people posted
what they hear it would be more interesting ! this also seems to be a place
where you can learn a lot if you post a relevant question. There are some
knowledgeable people here. I liked Passport to Wordlband Radio more last
year than this year - too many missing or wrong entries. It is still a good
reference, but not always helpful when it counts.

Strength and Honor


> Ed,

>  I sure wish there were. None I know of ????

> There is a SWL chat-room type of thing. Star chat or something ? I do not
> know a thing about using a chat room so I stay away.

> At times there are some tips here. Most of the veteran DX'ers appear to
> avoid being here. I guess I can understand ..... with all of the junk that
> is posted here.

> 73,  Ken  KG4BIG



> > As a Ham, I sometimes rely on Eham's DX Cluster to locate rare DX
> > stations...Wondering if there's a DX Cluster for Shortwave or if
anybody's
> ever
> > considered this.  Seems like a good idea and somewhat reduces the
> randomness of
> > SWLing....

> > Your thoughts?

> > Ed NI6S

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Ken Wilso » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 08:35:30

Thanks for the link jw.

I was thinking live on the fly stuff. Not a day or two old.

73, Ken

Quote:> This is what you want guys:

> http://dxworld.com/swbclog.html

> Also the LW NDB gets a lot of action. BCB not so much so, the big boys of
BCB
> DXing use the NRC mailing list.

> jw
> wb9uai

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by J999 » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:20:33

Quote:>Thanks for the link jw.

>I was thinking live on the fly stuff. Not a day or two old.

>73, Ken

Ummm ... that IS live on the fly stuff.

:^p

Nobody has been posting. It needs more action !

We use that same site for VHF contesting for live, up to the date reporting.
It's as quick as one can get.

jw
wb9uai

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Ken Wilso » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:08:33

I must be missing something. 2 logs for the month of Feb & one was today.

Ken


Quote:> >Thanks for the link jw.

> >I was thinking live on the fly stuff. Not a day or two old.

> >73, Ken

> Ummm ... that IS live on the fly stuff.

> :^p

> Nobody has been posting. It needs more action !

> We use that same site for VHF contesting for live, up to the date
reporting.
> It's as quick as one can get.

> jw
> wb9uai

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Waterperson » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:40:47

Quote:>Nobody has been posting. It needs more action !

well, I'm getting back into the radio listening hobby after years of absence.

However, all I crrently have for shortwave lisstening is an IC-R3.

I used to listen to shortwave years ago with other radios.

I got the R3 for it's video capabilites as advertised, but never did see any
video on it other than broadcast tv (until I got my own wavecom video
transmitter and seen how poorly it performed that, while the wavecom reciever
was much better at recieving that a lot further away than the R3 could).

But the specs seem to be okay on the shortwave bands to me.  Well, almost.

The radio's sensitivity is really bad up to 5 MHZ  (including real bad
reception on the AM broadcast bandd, also).

But the sensitivity of the radio in AM mode improves starting at 5MHZ

I think the R3 was mismarketed.  From the specs, and actual listening, it seems
as though the R3 was made to pick up the (old) regular scanner bands the best.

but it seems to be very poor at picking up 2.4 GHZ video, which it was
advertised as being good for.

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Waterperson » Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:11:21

I spent a lot  of money to get my R3, so I probably won't be getting another
radio anytime soon.

So you're all stuck with my reception reports being heard on an IC-R3.

I realize that it's not the best radio, and not the best shortwave radio, but
right now, it's the only working radio I have that is capable of tuning
shortwave (in AM mode).

It won't tune SSB.

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by J999 » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:37:40

I posted a test message to:

http://dxworld.com/swbclog.html

it came back in 2 seconds.

We just gotta get people to use it !

jw
wb9uai

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by Ken Wilso » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:18:39

Yes, I see what you mean. not the sites fault for lack of activity.

As you said ....lots of activity on the NRC list. I subscribe to it as well.

Which do you dx the most ....SW or BCB.

I kind of go in streaks. I enjoy trying for the PNG & INDOS in the
11:00 -12:30 utc slot on low bands. I listen just about every day. Latter on
weekends of course as I go to work during the week.

73,Ken


Quote:> I posted a test message to:

> http://dxworld.com/swbclog.html

> it came back in 2 seconds.

> We just gotta get people to use it !

> jw
> wb9uai

 
 
 

DX Cluster for Shortwave??

Post by J999 » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:16:07

Quote:>Which do you dx the most ....SW or BCB.

I guess I'm more serious about BCB, but did very little DXing over winter. Now
that the yard is cleared of snow, I'll probably be trying some new phased
EWE's.

jw
wb9uai